The first service of worship at Lakewood was held March 8, 1953. At that time the original sanctuary (which is now our choir room and chapel) had no roof, a dirt floor and no glass in the windows. Pews were hard benches discarded from Camp Blanding. The pulpit Bible, hymnals and piano were gifts from First Methodist Church downtown. The offering plates were green plastic salad bowls purchased from the dime store.
From those humble beginnings the Lakewood family has grown and added a new and larger sanctuary, a Children’s Building and a Fellowship Hall/Education building. In 2004, a Christian Activity Center (CAC) was built to accommodate our growing ministries and also to serve our local community. The CAC has a complete gym, stage, formal dining room and institutional kitchen.
We are still making our history here at Lakewood, and we invite you to come and be a part of it. Our children and youth ministries continue to grow, and as a church family we are learning to be disciples and servants in our church family, in our community, and beyond.